Career Coaching Questions
“You can only have an answer, if you first ask a question”
Current Position and Company
- What do you want to change or improve in your current role?
- How important is this change to you?
- If you had this change now, how would this benefit your current situation?
- What needs to happen/or what is the first step needed to make this change?
- Ideally how do you want your current role to play out?
- What is important to you in your job?
- What other options do you have?
- What is the first thing you can do to make a positive change?
Career Coaching Sessions
- If you could have any job you wanted and it didn’t matter about qualifications or experience you had and all jobs paid the same salary, what position would you pick?
- What do you value in your career?
- Is your current career meeting your values?
- What is your career goal?
- How important is achieving your career goal to you?
- Are you willing to take a pay cut or attending new training to gain your career goal?
- If not, why not? How can you overcome this barrier?
- If yes, what will you be losing by doing this?
- What resources do you need to step on to the career ladder?
- What do you believe will happen when you achieve your career goal?
- Can you get this outcome any other way?
- What is the first thing you are going to do to move towards this career goal?
Career Advice Sessions
- What have you learnt from making this mistake?
- How will making this mistake improve your knowledge and future activities?
- What changes can you make to your strategy to have a more effective outcome?
- What would someone you admire do in your place?
- How can I turn this mistake around?
- On a scale of 1-10 how happy are you in your job/career?
- What makes you X number on the scale?
- Have you ever been lower on the scaled? What did you do to move up the scale to the number you are today?
- Have you ever been higher up the scale, what were you doing when you were higher up the scale?
- What can you do differently to start moving up the scale?
- What number do you want to be on the scale?
- How will you know when you have reached this number?
If you enjoyed this article you will also enjoy reading: